dinver tuning parameters

This forum is dedicated to discuss all problems and suggestions related to the inversion software
dpt348

dinver tuning parameters

Postby dpt348 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi,

There seems to be missing documentation about the tuning parameters in diver. The link to the documentation for itmax, ns0, ns and nr does not exist. I understand that these parameters control the neighborhood search algorithm for the inversion. Could you please indicate what each of these parameters are (or refer me to a reference)?

Thank you,

admin
Site Admin

Re: dinver tuning parameters

Postby admin » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:22 am

You'll find a complete description of these parameters in Sambidge 1999

Sambridge, M., "Geophysical inversion with a neighbourhood algorithm –I. Searching a parameter space", Geophys. J. Int. (1999) 138, 479-494

itmax is the number of iterations to run
ns0 is the number of models to generate randomly (like a standard Monte-Carlo) before starting the iterations, to init the neighborhood algorithm
ns is the number of models to generate at each iteration
nr is the number neighborhood best cells over which the ns samples are generated. This set of best cells are updated after each iteration.

In Dinver when you start a run, ns0+itmax*ns models are generated.

In the current development release, the concept of iterations disappeared together with a better parallelized algorithm (inspired by Rickwood and Sambridge 2006, "Efficient parallel inversion using the Neighbourhood Algorithm").

Return to “Dinver usage”