Running Dinver using Vs refraction traveltime data

This forum is dedicated to discuss all problems and suggestions related to the inversion software
WStephenson

Running Dinver using Vs refraction traveltime data

Postby WStephenson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:43 pm

I am new to Dinver, but my understanding is that it can be used to jointly model dispersion data and Vs refraction traveltime data at a site? Thus far I have successfully run modeling on dispersion data and been able to extract selected models from the .report file. However when I try to add Vs refraction picks and run the modeling I get the error "segmentation fault" and the software dies. I suspect that I am not setting some parameter properly, but am not sure what that would be.

Couple of observations thus far:
1) when I load the Vs picks the "Load Curves" box asks for time in seconds, but when displayed in the "Targets" window spreadsheet time is labeled in milliseconds (while the units on the associated distance-time plot look correct). What units should the data values be in to import these data?
2) I have tried changing the parameter "pitch" but that has not helped, nor has changing the top layer to a linear gradient.
3) I get a segmentation fault when trying to run Dinver with only Vs refraction data as well.
4) I am setting neither a standard deviation nor a weight when importing these data. Should I be?
I am running Dinver on a Linux system with RHEL 5
All help is greatly appreciated,
Bill

admin
Site Admin

Re: Running Dinver using Vs refraction traveltime data

Postby admin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:32 pm

Dear Bill,
Time has passed since I did not play with this part. I'll try to provide you an answer next week.

WStephenson

Postby WStephenson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi again,
I am still looking for a workaround for this "segmentation" problem, and with the holiday season
coming to a close I hope to get back to it. Have you had a chance to look into this problem?

Would be happy to send along an example dataset if that would be of any help

best regards,
Bill

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:59 am

I'm waiting for your example (by email, ftp, or through this forum). I'll be happy to check the problem.

WStephenson

Postby WStephenson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:07 pm

I sent these data to you by email as per your suggestion.
thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks for your report and the dinver file.

First answer, you got an blank screen because there is no arrival time curves specified in the target attached to your run_01. The current target contains effectively the arrival time curves but you probably add them after the creation of run_01. At the time your add a new run, the current target and the current parameterization are copied and stored inside the run structure. Each run keeps its own definition of target and parameters. To check these individual definitions, you can switch to "show" mode in menu "Runs". The target and parameters display the selected run (in Runs widget).

I tried to create a new run including both targets (dispersion and refraction). Actually this is crashing as you probably reported earlier (I did not read back the discussion thread). I'm currently struggling to repair the compilation farm after adding Mac OS X Mountain Lion. A new release is about to be out. I will include corrections of this segmentation fault.

The target you defined for run_01 contains two dispersion curves. Dinver inverts all curves defined in the target box. All unused curves must be removed before adding any new run.

WStephenson

Postby WStephenson » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:57 pm

Thank you for the procedural advise and your efforts on this.

Looks like I will await for the next release to proceed.
Will you advertising the new release through this BB?

Happy coding!

Bill

Return to “Dinver usage”