serrated curve in linear f-k

This forum is dedicated to discuss all problems and suggestions related to the use of geopsy database and its plugins (array processing, H/V,...).
koetl

serrated curve in linear f-k

Postby koetl » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:17 am

Hello dear admin,

my problem is that the resulting dispersion image from linear f-k toolbox of my data shows a serrated progression (see example image). After trying all offered options from the toolbox I was not able to get a smooth curve progression.

The survey design was adapted to a linear MASW survey (30m offset, 48 channels, 1 m spacing of receivers, 0.512 ms recording interval).

Since I thought to avoid a poor spectral resolution, with named recording parameters, my guess would be a missing zero padding in space.

Could this be possible? Do you have any ideas to improve the image (beside using HRFK)?

Sincerely,
Maik
Attachments
example.png
(363.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet

admin
Site Admin

Re: serrated curve in linear f-k

Postby admin » Tue May 10, 2016 8:05 pm

Hi,

This is probably due to a rather short time window which results into a large sampling interval on the Fourier spectrum. You can choose a larger time window (second tab in toolbox) even larger then the available data. Geopsy will set all missing sample to 0 (zero-padding). It will make the spectrum denser and hence will smooth your curve. Theoretically speaking you are not adding any distortion to your results. Make sure that you are also applying a taper the data (first tab in toolbox).

Return to “Geopsy usage”