Mac OS X Lion?

Post in this forum any question related to the installation on any of the supported platforms (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows)
deconv

Mac OS X Lion?

Postby deconv » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:08 am

Hi,

I am wondering whether geopsy will be available for Mac OS X Lion sometime soon? Or is it possible to compile the packages from scratch for Lion?

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Re: Mac OS X Lion?

Postby admin » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:41 pm

Reading Qt developer forums about Mac OS X Lion, there are still some issues. Qt teams are certainly going to fix them with their next major release Qt 4.8. So I'm waiting for it before offering an official compiled version of Geopsy under Lion.

Meanwhile, you can download source package and try yourself. You need a recent version of XCode (4.1) and a compatible gfortran. Until now (Snow leopard), gfortran was not available with XCode. You comments and error reports are pretty welcome in this forum thread.

Under Leopard, I used this method to get gfortran:
  • Switch the default compiler to 4.2.1 (by default to 4.0.1)
  • sudo ln -s /usr/bin/g++-4.2 /usr/bin/g++
  • sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 /usr/bin/gcc
  • Download gfortran-4.2-5646-darwin9.tar.gz from http://r.research.att.com/tools under section "Alternative and experimental tools", "Updated GNU Fortran 4.2.1 for Apple's gcc-4.2 (build 5566) = Xcode 3.1.2"
  • sudo tar fvxz gcc-4.2-5566-darwin9.tar.gz -C /

For Lion, there is apparently an update: gfortran-lion-5666-3.pkg, hence this is still not supported by Apple directly.

Geopsy is using a few Fortran codes. I'm trying to minimize it but most of old research codes are still in Fortran, and others are still developed in Fortran.

Return to “Installation”